Tuesday, March 30, 2010

More Every Which Way & Some April Peeks

The sun is finally shining after a cold, gloomy week and it's supposed to be nice for several days. My kids are home today (the school has no water due to a water line break) so I fully intend to send them outside for the afternoon. The arguing has been unbearable this morning.
On to happier things!
I wanted to share how I package the kits. I wanted them to look like something you would have purchased from a dry goods store a hundred years ago ... hence the brown paper and twine. But why not make use of the packaging? I've used twine on several layouts but I wanted to try playing with the paper bag.
They are a bit flimsy, so this layout is attached to a cardstock base to make it a bit more sturdy. Folded over, stitched and spritzed with Sea Monkey Vibez.
I'm into hand-stitching with floss these days. The Cosmo Cricket chipboard letters are sanded and covered with a layer of Rock Candy Distress Stickles.
Pretty Primas available in the store.
Supplies:
paper bag from kit packaging
ribbon, Prima flower (blue), Prima Pebble, Studio Calico rub-on and paper letters, Cosmo Cricket chipboard letters, Sea Monkey Vibez all from Main kit
Sudio Calico label sticker from the Are We There Yet? add-on
Cosmo Cricket letter stickers from the Pretty Bits add-on
Prima flowers (Scribe Belle Artes & Blush Zazi) from the store
Embroidery floss, thread and Distress Stickles from my stash
I've also been whipping up some layouts with the April kit. This one uses the Salad Bar add-on (see the twine?).
And the Main kit ... Sunday Brunch.
Hope everyone's day is sunny too :)
ETA ... I doubt very much that my paper bags or twine would be considered acid free. They may be. I just don't know. A lot of my projects are for fun and I have no illusions about them becoming family heirlooms. For any layouts I want to stand the test of time, I make sure I use only scrapbooking product produced by a scrapbooking manufacturer.

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I love the idea of using the paper packaging - so creative and clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very bold! I would not have thought to use a paperbag. Did you spray it with anything to ensure it was acid free? I think the layout is stunning and I can't wait to see more from the april kit :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using the packaging is always such a fun idea! Your stitching looks awesome and so do your peaks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually had planned on using the bag for a project. I love that the packaging is environmentally friendly. I love the sneak peeks and look forward to seeing the entire kit, Great layouts too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to recycle and stay green! And I love the old mercantile way of wrapping your kits! Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the packaging! How unique!

    And nice on recycling the packaging... The LO turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you are packaging the kits! It's so clever and cool looking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the packaging! i'm so into shabby chic and the whole antique... lovin' everything old... so that's so awesome that you are taking the time to do that with the kits! and the layout!!! wow!

    ReplyDelete